Friday 16 February 2007

End of a chapter

Now playing: I'm Always There (Baywatch Theme) - Jim Jamison

I don't think that it has really sunk in yet, that I'm leaving Melbourne and heading back to Auckland. Today was my last day of work. It seems like only yesterday that I was emailing Emma with the subject "15 days, 4 hours, 32 minutes and 47 seconds". I made lamingtons last night for the shared morning tea - raspberry and lime ones.

I felt amazingly relaxed today at work. Still agitated and stressed like I always do, not being able to sit still on my chair, always kneeling on it somehow and spinning around, but even so, much more relaxed than I have been in the past couple of days. Tina made her infamous sausage rolls (the last time they will even be brought to a work spread, for reasons of which I won't go in to). I tidied up my desk, spent some time just hanging out with people and catching up. It didn't feel like a Friday at all, but it was good.

I make people cry. That's what I do. I was emailing Caroline today. She said she heard I was starting back on Monday and I said it was true.

From: Caroline Fotu
Sent: Friday, 16 February 2007 10:59 AM
To: Anthony King
Subject: RE: i heard

Oh okay! Well everyone is looking forward to having u back! They all excited! Don’t get a big head now lol

It was funny because everyone apparently is exciting I'm coming back to work and everyone here in Melbourne is sad that I'm leaving. Like, I must be a pretty wicked person to have that effect on people. And I know, I know, I'm so modest, but it makes me feel good that I can at least make an impact on people, whether positive or negative. The last thing I would want in this world is to be not remembered.

So, as I said, I made a couple of people cry. It started with Tina, who then made me cry. Then Emma, and even Ilijana just from watching everyone. I was leaving at the end of the day and Ilijana was on the phone and she put the customer on hold and we hugged and said goodbye and she just started welling up and started crying and I was thinking my god, I can't believe that someone like me can provoke these feelings in people!

And I am just as sad as everyone else, I really am, because I don't particularly want to go back to Auckland. In fact I don't want to go back at all but it's just something I have to do. The job itself here in Melbourne wasn't that great, but the people .. what can I say, they're the reason I've been waking up each morning for the past eight months that I've been single. When Ali and I broke up, there was really no reason for me to stay in Melbourne, but the people I work(ed) with, they are just great.

So, that was my day. It is slowly sinking in I think. And Quizmania - it's on in 40 minutes. Better get my phone charged, ready to ring.

No comments: