Saturday 17 February 2007

Beautiful day

Today was such a beautiful day. It was 38 degrees, very hot, but the sun was shining and everything just felt really good. My baby brother flew in from Auckland this morning to help me get my stuff back home. I met him in the city and we did some shoe shopping (with a list, in and out of the store) and then had yum cha at the best Chinese restaurant in Melbourne, at Red Emperor at Southgate.

Then we went to Geelong. We caught the train down - I wanted to say goodbye to Ali's parents and his sister, and also just go back down there, as the last time I had been down was for his dad's 50th, which was in May. And it seemed fitting that I go as well seeing as though I spent so much time there before I moved over to Melbourne and I always felt at home there, and never had any worries as I sat infront of Eastern Beach with my fish and chips.

Gen picked up us from the train station and I saw their parents briefly before they had to leave. Gen took my brother and I down to Eastern Beach and we walked along the Esplanade. It was just so sunny, people everywhere, I haven't seen the Promenade that busy before - I suppose each time I had gone it wasn't during school holidays and I was the only person there.

They had erected the giant ferris wheel that was housed at Docklands nearly a year ago. I remember the first time I saw it - Alistair and I were driving back from Geelong and we had seen the ferris wheel on a travel show the night earlier and said we would stop by. It was so amazing, and I realised that I could see it on my walk to work every morning but for some reason had just never noticed it. It was so great to see it there in Geelong and I instantly recognised it.


We spent about an hour down at the beach, before heading back to Melbourne by car. My brother and I had KFC for dinner and we stayed at a hotel in the city, watching TV all night. It was actually quite fun. That's a typical Saturday night for me though. I even stayed up late enough to watch the beginning of Quizmania.

Well, one more sleep and I'm off to Auckland. I can't believe how fast the week has gone.

No comments: