Saturday 23 December 2006

Conquering Auckland

I got about an hours worth of sleep and woke up to have a shower and finish packing up the last of my stuff. Anosa was still asleep on the couch when I was getting ready, I woke him up those at 5.30am to say goodbye. The car was downstairs waiting for me and the driver made some small talk with me before I jumped in the back. I spent the whole journey to the airport reading magazines that were sitting neatly on the seat next to me, god knows why they weren't in the pockets behind the front seats.



Flying business class is great, everything is just so relaxed, even at six in the morning. The driver took my bags and put them on a trolley for me. I went straight to the business class check in counter, they put the nifty 'priority' tags on my luggage and even took my umbrella and marked it as fragile. Fast check through immigration and customs and 10 minutes from my arrival out of the airport, I was sitting in the business class lounge, ready for a quick nap. There was a buffet breakfast and alcohol just spread out on the counter top, it was great. They're just inviting people to get drunk. I got to have a quick play with my new camera too!



The flight was great. I watched John Tucker Must Die which I had already seen at the movies but I was just in that kind of mood. It was so good to be able to stretch out and sleep on the flight, the seat had an inbuilt massager and it was really good. I took off my shoes during the flight, but I must admit, when I was wearing them, seeing them stretched out in front of me looking all brand new and bright white and red made me feel all gooey inside. And the food made me feel good. The sun was beaming through the windows. I felt good.



I waited 30 minutes for the car when I arrived in Auckland. I ended up walking back to the Emirates desk on the other side of the airport demanding to know where the car was. They made some quick calls and threw me into a taxi. When I got home, the taxi driver had the audacity to ask me for the $60 fare. I explained that I wasn't going to pay it. We had a 10 minute argument and people were staring at me. He ended up ringing his manager who ended up saying I didn't have to pay, and they could put it on the account that Emirates were to open.



I got home and the first thing my mum said to me was "can you put up the Christmas tree?" It's the day before Christmas Eve, why couldn't people get their shit together? I ended up putting some of it up and then I fell asleep on the couch. I slept for about 6 hours. When I woke up, there were animals all around me and everyone was at home.

So, here I am. In Auckland. For 10 days, the longest I've been back in Auckland since I moved.

No comments: