Sunday 28 January 2007

Old friends

Now playing: I Believe - Yolanda Adams

This evening I caught up with an old friend from school, Ana, who is a flight attendant for Qantas. It has been about two years since we last saw each other - it was at a Katchafire concert in Auckland just before Uni started. I caught the tram to the Hilton where she was staying and it was just like old times. Don't you love it when you see someone you haven't seen in a long time and you just get on like you always did? No awkwardness or anything like that?

We had heaps to catch up on. I filled her in on my glamourous life working in Melbourne and living at Yve and she wowed me with her stories being a flight attendant. And the perks! My god. She is in Melbourne overnight before flying to Perth tomorrow, and she was given a meal allowance of $260.50. This is in cash - she can spend it on whatever the hell she wants. Not bad at all, that's more than I make in a day. Apparently a lot of people actually live off their allowances and keep their pay as savings. Very smart.

I brought her back to my apartment and she was very very impressed. "Only someone like you could pull this off" she said. We are so similar, we don't know what we want to do in life but we just want to have fun, travel, hang out for a couple of years before actually setting down and committing to something. We went to St Kilda for dinner. Just walking down Fitzroy Street and Ackland Street - the atmosphere and vibes were just great. She kept saying, I love Melbourne. I'm loving it more and more.


Four years ago this was taken. We both still look the same!

We went to Bigmouth for dinner, on the corner of Ackland and Barkley Streets. The only reason we ate there was because we walked to the end of the street and hadn't decided where to eat, so went there by default. It was great. I had New Zealand Hapuka, just to pay tribute to my roots. We had a great time just catching up over what we have been doing, all the gossip, what we wanted to do with our lives. It was so great, I had a blast.

We caught the tram back into the city and went to Federation Square where we watched the tennis on the big screen. Then, off to buy chocolate, and then Ana caught the tram back to the hotel and I went on my way back here to the apartment. It's just after 10.30pm, right on bedtime for me.

I'm going to go into work early tomorrow because I have so much work to catch up on. I still haven't actually given written notice that I'm leaving, so I will have to write that tomorrow sometime and give it to my manager. Only three more weeks to go. 15 business days.

Goodnight

No comments: