Monday 20 March 2006

Melbourne 2006

This evening Alistair and I went to see the Gymnastics at the Commonwealth Games. It was at the Rod Laver Arena. I had bought the tickets a while ago because I wanted to go to at least ONE event and I thought that the gymnastics or the netball would have been the best. We saw the men's finals tonight of the rings and the pommel horse and the floor. There were also some other events too.



The arena was just packed and it was a bit odd just watching because everything was silent. We would watch the floor routine and it was silent through the whole arena, and if someone slipped up everyone would gasp. It's different because when you watch it on TV, at least you can hear the commentary. Someone is actually describing to you what is happening. I think I would prefer watching it on TV, but yeah. It was good to actually go to an event.



Everyone is in Commonwealth Games mode at the moment. Southern Cross Station across the road from where we live, has just been packed lately. The other night I caught a train to the supermarket and the platforms at the station were the busiest I have ever seen them - it's only a newish train station as well in a way, they've revamped it, but it hadn't really been used much by people. But you can definitely tell how much the economy is going to get out of this. It's a bit freaky though when you are going through the train station and you see the clear rubbish bins - it's something that they started doing in London after bombings on the trains and that bus. It's strange to think of the actual terror threat that the Games have here in Melbourne.



I remember before I moved over here, everyone was telling me to be careful because of the games, and told me to wait until after March to move. I can't believe it's already March! We had a good time at the event tonight, and we are both still alive. So that's good :)

No comments: